Restaurant Remake: Easy Roasted Garlic Sauce
We still can't stop thinking about the creamy roasted garlic sauce that topped our falafels and pitas at the National Restaurant Association show in May. Any good gyro joint already has their version of garlic sauce on the menu and we thought we'd make a quick and healthy version for you to try. We roasted a whole garlic bulb with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and then blended it with yogurt and a garnish of lemon zest and lemon pepper. You can even get the kiddos in on the recipe action and use it as you would any other other dip or sauce.
We like it best in spread onto whole wheat sandwiches, as a dip with fresh veggies, stirred in with whole wheat pasta dishes and mixed with avocado for avo toast.
Garlic: antioxidants (better immunity)
Yogurt: probiotics (healthy gut = better immunity), calcium (strong bones)
Extra virgin olive oil: monounsaturated fat (healthy heart)
Easy Roasted Garlic Sauce
Love the creamy garlic sauce at your favorite Mediterranean restaurant? Try this quick and healthy restaurant remake with roasted garlic, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and yogurt.
Makes: 2/3 Cups (2 Tbsp = 1 Serving)
- 1 whole roasted bulb of garlic (see how-to below)
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (regular or Greek)
- Garnish: fresh lemon zest, lemon pepper or your favorite herbs
- In a mini food processor, puree roasted garlic with extra virgin olive oil until a thick paste forms (or mash roasted garlic and olive oil with a fork)
- In a small bowl, combine sea salt, garlic puree, and yogurt and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh grated lemon zest and lemon pepper.
- Slice top of garlic bulb off (about 1/4 inch) to reveal cloves inside. Trim tops of smaller cloves on the sides if necessary.
- Rub some of the loose outer layers off.
- Place bulb on top of a piece of foil and drizzle about 1 tsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil over the top of the bulb and a pinch of salt and pepper
- Fold foil up around garlic
- Roast in 400 degree oven for about 40 minutes (or until cloves are soft)
- Remove cloves with sharp knife or toothpick
NUTRITION PROFILE (2 TBSP.)
50 calories, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 125 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 1 g protein